Sunday, May 1, 2016

Next Hitman is on DirectX 12



Earlier this week, Square Enix released their second installment of the latest Hitman, Sapienza. As one of the hardware geeks at PC Gamer, I'd been meaning to check into the DirectX 12 performance of the few games that currently support the new API. Hitman is one of them. With the second episode now out, it seemed like a good time to go run some tests. 

On April 26, right after the update to Sapienza, things were going okay. I started with Nvidia cards, since those were installed in my testbed, and I got numbers for DX11 and DX12 with the GTX 980 Ti. I also ran 980 Ti SLI, which not surprisingly showed that there's currently no support for multiple GPUs in the DX12 path. Nvidia's 980 Ti wasn't showing any benefit from switching to DX12, with performance slightly slower in DX12 mode and more stuttering (particularly at the start of the test sequence), but otherwise all was going according to plan.

Day two, there was an update in Steam, which I figured I should grab in case it fixed anything. There was a new graphics option (Ultra quality Level of Detail), and using that (instead of High LoD) resulted in lower performance for both DX11 and DX12. I tossed out my initial benchmark data and started again. Day three, Steam informed me there was yet another update. Sigh. So I grabbed that and prepared to restart all of my testing yet again.


 
Author : Saatvik Awasthi
Source : Click Here 

No comments:

Post a Comment